Silt Analysis, Mells, Somerset
|Location: Mells Park, Somerset
||Client: Kingcombe Aquacare Ltd
|Date: December 2004
||Sector: Waste and Water
- To sample and collect silt sediment from two lakes for chemical analysis
- To advise the client on land spreading issues
- To develop a land spreading strategy for the client that adheres to the waste Management and Licensing Regulations 1994 and follows best practice techniques for the disposal of dredging materials.
How Aardvark Delivered:
- Aardvark EM was invited by Kingcombe Aquacare to advise on an historic lake restoration project, restoring it to it’s original size of 6 hectares
- Aardvark undertook a silt survey to include depth measurements and samples from the lake system using modified specialist equipment,capable of taking samples in deep water. Our micro window sample has been mounted on a light weight punt and can be used to retrieve 1 metre core sampling up to a depth of 10 metres
- 3rd party laboratory analysis and results were processed using Aardvark’s own in house developed software called Landspread and Wastetrack. This determines the correct spreading rate with regard to nutrients and potentially toxic elements
- The final deliverable provided the client with a report that included the spreading rate to land, based on chemical analysis of the silt and the land area available for spreading. CAD design of the existing lake system and liaison with the Environmental Agency regarding land spreading and an exemption from the 1996 Waste Licensing Regulation for the land spread of 120,000m2 of silt.